Tuesday, August 9, 2011

What is so funny?

What a tough weekend I just had. Got new living quarters, found out I would be sharing them with a Black man, and met my cool Black roommate all in one weekend.  Well, it was finally the first day of class and I was so excited. I got up early and ironed the jeans and shirt that I was going to wear. My blazer jacket was hanging up and was cleaned, pressed, and ready to go. I shined up my belt buckle all night long until I could see my reflection in it. I polished up my brand new cowboy boots last night, and my 10 gallon hat was sitting sturdy on my hat rack. When I got myself dressed and ready to go, my roommate woke up and broke out into a very boisterous laugh. I asked him what he thought was so funny and he said "them boots, that hat, and this big ass belt buckle." He actually reached out and touched my belt buckle. So much for his nice Black guy routine. I started to get upset, but then I realized how good I looked, so I ignored him, put on my jacket, and left for my first day of class. When I got out in the hallway of the dorm rooms people were staring at me and giggling, but I ignored them and kept on my way. I was walking down the street past the McDonald's on exchange and carloads of people were yelling and laughing at me. They were blowing their horns and saying "heehaw" which I thought was funny but obnoxious. On campus nobody was dressed like me. Everyone had on jogging suits, t-shirts, and flip flop shoes. I thought they looked silly because guys don't wear flip flops where I come from. You don't want get bit by a snake on your foot while your working the land. Boots are the shoes for men back home. I would have worn my spurs but I thought that might be a bit much for the big city folks of Akron,Ohio. Anyway, everywhere I went today people were pointing and laughing. I seen one pretty young lady in the student union sitting by herself at a table. She was looking at me and laughing. I asked her what she thought was so funny. She asked me if Akron was having a rodeo to welcome students this year. I asked her what she meant. She said that my costume was really nice and that I looked like a real cowboy. I smiled and told her that this was no costume and that I was a real cowboy. She laughed really hard and got up and walked away from me. I was so embarrassed. I thought, "I wont be dressing up for class like this anymore if this is what I will have to deal with." After class, and all of the humiliation I faced today, I was really exhausted and hurt. I got back home and my roommate was there. I asked him what was wrong with how I dressed because he and everyone else seemed to laugh at me today. He said that people don't dress like cowboys in the city. He said I needed to relax and dress more casual when going out. Then he gave me one of his many Akron jogging suits and some brand new tennis shoes and told me wear them the next day. He also apologize for laughing at me this morning. Maybe he is nice after all. Anyway, I think I might try the Akron outfit out tomorrow because I didn't like the negative attention I got for wearing my dress cloths. Also, I have other things to worry about. My professor was from India and I couldn't understand a word he was saying today. I need to be focused in class and not worried about who's laughing at the way I look. I still think I looked very good in my sundays best. I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment