Tuesday, August 9, 2011

My new roomate is Black!

I found out today that my roommate is a Black guy. I knew there were many Black people in Akron, Ohio, but I never thought I would be living with one of them. Back home there is not one Black family in the whole town. Everybody in town is White. We are all like one big family back home. Everyone knows each other, and shares and trades goods with each other to survive. There are a few black people around when we go to the big city to get supplies 4 times a year. They seem OK, but my father always tells me and my three siblings not to associate, mix, or mingle with their kind. I don't understand why he feels like that, but my mom always tells him he is wrong when she hears him say things like that. He would be upset if he knew I was going to be rooming with a Black guy, so I wont be telling him right away. Well I haven't met the guy yet. I just know he is Black by his name. Lamont Jackson is what they told me his name was. Sounds Black to me. Anyway, I have to unpack my things and claim my bottom bunk. I hope my roommate doesn't have a problem with that, I am a big guy and don't like hights because I am afraid of the fall. I hope my roommate isn't like the Black people I see on T.V. Most of those guys are dumb athletes or rappers, and they always seem to be in some sort of trouble. I cant wait until the first day of class. I am going to dress real nice, like I do when I go to church back home. I will update you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment