Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Met my roommate and he is cool.

I met my roommate today, and to my surprise he was really cool. He greeted me with good manners, unpacked his belongings in an orderly fashion, and was actually happy to have the top bunk to sleep on. He said he had to sleep on the top bunk with one of his four little brothers every night back home. He was just happy to have a bed all to himself for once. He told me he was from New York City and that he was from the Marcy projects in Brooklyn. I thought that was scary, but he didn't seem like a kid from the projects in Brooklyn. Jay-Z and Biggie talk about drugs and guns like it's all fun and games. He doesn't seem like a drug dealer, but I don't know him well yet. Anyway, my roommate plays the trumpet, and is at Akron on a full ride scholarship because of his talents. He played a little bit for me and it was quite amazing. He said he hoped to get a spot with the world famous Akron Symphony Orchestra. He wasn't anything like the black people I see on TV. He talked properly, he wasn't loud and obnoxious, and he dresses kind of snazzy for a Black guy. He is a really driven guy who has a bright future ahead of him. I hope my dad can accept him, because I think he is going to be a good roommate. My dad and my uncles always have something negative to say about Black people. They say they are lazy and shiftless, and occasionally the N-word may fly out of one of their mouths. They hate the President because he is black, and they crack jokes about him all of the time. I always knew it was wrong, but I never said anything. That was just the way it was back home. I hope me and my roommate continue to get along. So far, so good. so, we definitely shall see. I will keep you posted

No comments:

Post a Comment