Friday, August 12, 2011

I am not that diverse?

 Remember I told you about the group that me and my classmates put together to focus on Business and Marketing. Well there is a gay guy in the group. I don't think I have ever been in the same room with a homosexual before. He is very open about his sexuality and this really bothers me. He has never come on to me or anything, but I just don't like being around him. There is just one problem with having dislike: he is a dynamo at this business/ marketing stuff and he has become the unofficial leader of the group. I am thinking about leaving the group because homosexuality is against my religion. The preacher back home used to give some heavy fire and brimstone sermons really condemning homosexuality. I don't know what to do. I don't think I will quit quite yet, but I think I will present my dilemma at the New Beginnings meeting and see what they think about this. Now that I think about it, maybe I am not that diverse. I thought I was getting used to associating with different types of people, but this is just too much. Isn't it? I really am trying to get an A in the course, and this guy has all of the answers to the test. I might have to work with this guy after all. Oh well, I will ask the group tomorrow. My mom asked my dad for more money for my project and that didn't go over to well. He said that he wanted to talk me so I can tell him what I need the money for. I think I am going to have to get a job because my dad and I are at odds, besides, I don't want to ask him for anything right now. I think I will call him tonight and see what he is talking about. Anyway, my roommates patterns have begin to improve. I guess it is because it is the end of the semester and final exams are coming up. He has started to get on my nerves with all of that noise he makes practicing his trumpet. He doesn't bother me that much because he is very good. He just practices Hip-Hop songs though; and I don't like Hip-Hop music. I wish he would play some Willie Nelson, Charlie Pride, or my favorite Billy Ray Cyrus. I guess everybody is different. My roommate isn't bad, but my neighbors are terrible. They play some of the nastiest rap music I have heard in my life. I like Jay-Z and Biggie but that's it; and I don't like them that much. I like Lil John. Yeah! Oooooookaaaaaay! I don't tell my friends back home though. They only listen to the country classics. They would laugh if they knew I like some rap. I sure miss it back home. I think I will go home for Christmas break. That sound great! Anyway, I better start studying for my final exams also. I cant wait to go to the new beginnings meeting tomorrow. I will keep you posted.

Perhaps our subject is in the Denial stage of Bennetts (1986) Development of Intercultural Sensitivity Model (as cited in Koomvies, Woodward, and Associates, 2003). The denial stage "occurs when there is a physical and/or social isolation that prohibits any contact with significant cultural differences. The individual remains in complete ethnocentrism, where his or her own world view is unchallenged and is central to all reality. (p 428)" Maybe our subject isn't as separated from different others (homosexuals) as this model suggests, but I think the students at New Beginnings will tell him that his prejudice view is wrong to a certain extent. I will keep you posted on that also.

No comments:

Post a Comment